The History of Sabah College

Category: info sekolah Published on Friday, 03 March 2017 Written by Kad

 

Establishment of Sabah College was suggested by the first education director of the North Borneo government, PE Perry in 1947. The purpose of this school is to help and provide education to potential and bright local children in North Borneo. Among the proposed construction sites are Likas (current SM All Saints site), Kepayan and current Queen Elizabeth Hospital. Finally, in 1955, the Civil Aviation Department site has been chosen to be the site of Sabah College with an area of 16.77 acres (67,900 m2) which includes 6 acres (24,000 m2) of sports field area, 4.8 acres (19,000 m2) of residential areas and the rest is the school. In 1956 its construction plans had been proposed to the British Government and granted.

During the construction project the Colonial Development Welfare has funded 90% of the cost. While the rest was contributed by local sources. The first intake consist of 85 students and 95 teachers. Only selected students which passed special exam were chosen to study at Maktab Sabah. The school acting principal was Mr. Buckley. In the same year, Mr. Geoffrey Clarke was appointed as the very first principal of Sabah College.

At the end of 1957 this school was moved to a new site near the current Secretariat building. In 1958 Form Six classes started with limited facility of classes lessons.

Then, in 1960, Sabah College once again moved to a new site. With these new buildings Sabah College continues to develop and become one of the most important secondary schools in Sabah.

 

 


 

Penubuhan Maktab Sabah telah dicadangkan oleh pengarah pertama pendidikan kerajaan Borneo Utara, PE Perry pada tahun 1947. Tujuan sekolah ini adalah untuk membantu dan memberi pendidikan kepada kanak-kanak tempatan yang cerah dan mempunyai potensi di Borneo Utara. Antara tapak pembinaan dicadangkan adalah Likas (kini SM All Saints), Kepayan dan Hospital Queen Elizabeth (kini). Akhirnya, pada tahun 1955, tapak Jabatan Penerbangan Awam telah dipilih untuk menjadi tapak Maktab Sabah dengan keluasan 16.77 ekar (67.900 m2) yang merangkumi 6 ekar (24.000 m2) kawasan padang sukan, 4.8 ekar (19.000 m2) kawasan perumahan dan selebihnya adalah sekolah. Pada tahun 1956 rancangan pembinaannya telah dicadangkan kepada kerajaan British dan dipersetujui.

 

Semasa projek pembinaan, Pembangunan Colonial Welfare telah membiayai 90% daripada kos. Manakala selebihnya disumbangkan oleh sumber-sumber tempatan. Pengambilan pertama terdiri daripada 85 pelajar dan 95 guru. Hanya pelajar terpilih yang lulus peperiksaan khas telah dipilih untuk belajar di Maktab Sabah. Lakonan sekolah utama adalah Encik Buckley. Pada tahun yang sama, Encik Geoffrey Clarke dilantik sebagai pengetua pertama Maktab Sabah.

 

Pada akhir tahun 1957 sekolah ini telah berpindah ke tapak baru berhampiran bangunan Setiausaha semasa. Pada tahun 1958 Tingkatan Enam kelas bermula dengan kemudahan terhad kelas pelajaran.

 

Kemudian, pada tahun 1960, Maktab Sabah sekali lagi berpindah ke tapak baru. Dengan bangunan baru, Maktab Sabah terus membangun dan menjadi salah sebuah sekolah menengah yang paling penting di Sabah.

 

Hits: 119